Pensioner discharged from hospital with tube still stuck in arm

A pensioner and her family were left shocked after she was discharged from hospital with a tube still STUCK IN HER ARM.

Peggy Morgan, 80, was being treated for pneumonia at the Royal Stoke University Hospital when she was sent home.

But when she arrived to her bungalow, her daughter Miriam Lawton discovered the tube – called a cannula – still imbedded into the crook of her elbow.

It only came to light after she complained to her daughter about the discomfort it was causing.

Peggy Morgan, 80 was discharged from hospital with a tube still stuck in her arm

Peggy Morgan, 80
was discharged from hospital with a tube still stuck in her arm

Miriam, 51, said: “As if all the pain and distress she was in wasn’t enough, to be sent home with hospital equipment still sticking out of her arm is disgusting.

“She kept telling me how much it hurt and I didn’t know what to say so I called her GP and asked them to come and take it out.”

After arriving to hospital on November 27, Peggy’s family was told she would be able to go home on November 30.

Miriam, who works full-time in a school, was concerned about her mother being discharged so early and the fact that no-one was able to travel in the ambulance with her and went to visit as soon as she could.

She was being treated for pneumonia at the Royal Stoke University Hospital

She was being treated for pneumonia at the Royal Stoke University Hospital

But when she saw her mother, she found the flexible tube – normally inserted to deliver or remove fluid and drugs – was still left in her arm.

It was another three days of discomfort for Peggy before her GP could attend to remove the device.

The widow and grandmother, who was a missionary to India in the 1950s and later a nurse herself, has now returned to hospital for treatment.

Gill Adamson, acting chief nurse at Royal Stoke, said: “We would like to extend our apologies to Mrs Morgan and her family for any distress this has caused.”

The news comes a year after the same thing happened to a child discharged from the complex’s children’s department when managers had promised to learn lessons to make sure it never happened again.

Miriam now has lodged an official complaint against the hospital.

Her family were left shocked after they made the discovery

Her family were left shocked after they made the discovery

She said: “I was so shocked when I realised what had happened – I couldn’t believe it.

“I thought that she would need longer in hospital than three days as it was and then to send her home like this when she clearly wasn’t ready is horrific.

“The hospital really needs to sit up and listen to what patients are saying.

“Mum has been in and out of the hospital for about 18 months and there’s been a catalogue of events that I have been unsatisfied with, but this was the final straw.

“The cannula was put in to give my mum her antibiotics, but they sent her home with it still in her arm.

“I called the hospital straight away and I just blew my top with them so I called her GP and waited for them out of desperation.

“She should never have been sent home with it still in her arm – It was horrible watching her suffer but I didn’t know what to do.

“As a family we are very unhappy with the way my mum has been treated. I’ve lost a lot of respect for the staff at the hospital.”

Gill Adamson added: “Patient safety is a priority for all staff at the Trust and it is very important to us that patients have a positive experience while they are being cared for at University Hospitals of North Midlands.

“We are aware of the concerns raised by Mrs Morgan’s family and will be contacting them to discuss these directly.”