Historical estate goes on the market with castle ruins once the home of Richard lll and Henry Vlll
By Becca Husselbee
A historical estate with the remains of King Richard III’s castle in the garden has gone on the market for £1.1 million
The jagged ruins of Sheriff Hutton Castle stand behind the Warden’s House and were once home to some of histories most controversial figures including Richard III and Henry VIII.
It became one of the grandest castles in northern England and at various times was a favourite residence and seat of regional government for some of the most charismatic figures in English history despite it being disused for the past three and a half centuries.
The prominent castle was originally built in 1382 by the Neville family but now just four corners remain after the stone was plundered to build neighbouring houses including Sheriff Hutton Hall.
It was in April, 1940, that the present family acquired Castle Farm through Wilfred Wagstaff, chairman of a West Riding textile company.
His daughter and son in law, Elizabeth and John Knight Howarth inherited in 1952 and the Howarth’s have lived and farmed ever since, maintaining and preserving this magnificent castle for future generations to enjoy.
Although the remains of the castle are very little the new occupants can live comfortably in the Warden House and annex with four bedrooms, two reception areas and farm house kitchen as well as garages and out buildings.
The adjoining Court Cottage is also included with two bedrooms, dining room and exposed timber work.
The property is located just 10 miles north of York and all set in 11.5 acres of land with a double moat fit for royalty.