Woman finds live snail in supermarket sandwich
This may have looked like any other sandwich on the shelf – but the woman who bought it was in for a slimy surprise.
Hannah Scott, 37 from Stallingborough, Lincolnshire, was stunned to find a LIVE SNAIL as she was tucking into a chicken tikka and mango chutney sandwich from a Tesco Extra store in Grimsby.
Having almost eaten the slimy stowaway, Hannah was then offered just £25 in compensation by the supermarket giant.
She says the incident has made her think twice about even stepping foot in the store again.
“I took a bite out of my sandwich and felt something hard and I thought that’s not right, so I spat it out, not knowing what it was,” she said.
“I just stared at the snail, wondering if it was dead or alive. When it started moving I thought right that’s it, I need to get this sorted.”
“I’ve not bought a sandwich since.”
Hannah took the sandwich straight back to the store to complain, but it wasn’t until two weeks later that the compensation offer came in.
Hannah says the small offer and the time it took has made her even more angry.
“The customer care in store isn’t bad. The girls in store were fantastic – it’s the management at the top that’s the problem,” she said.
“They didn’t get back to me for ages and when they did I had to write down what he said on the phone to me it was that bad.”
She claims she was told by a representative of the store: “We go on the facts, the facts are you didn’t choke so we can only offer a goodwill gesture.”
She added: “I’ve had to push them for £25, which isn’t good.
“It’s a choking hazard and it could have been a different story if it had been my four-year-old son Joseph who had the sandwich.
“Not much makes my belly turn but that did. Since then I’ve been constantly checking my food before I eat it,” she said.
“I’m definitely more wary of what I buy – it just makes you wonder how they missed it. It’s baffling really.”
A Tesco spokesman said the store had apologised to Hannah for any distress caused and that they were investigating the incident.
The spokesman said: “We set ourselves the highest standards for the quality and safety of our food and have robust procedures in place.
“We’ll be investigating the incident with our supplier and have apologised to Mrs Scott for any distress caused. We will be updating her once the investigation is complete.”