Shameless mother jailed for cruelty to children sneaked out of her grandma’s funeral so she could burgle her own mum’s house

A shameless thief sneaked out of her grandmother’s funeral so she could burgle her own mother while she was distracted by laying her relative to rest.

Marla Everett, 33, who earlier this year was jailed for allowing her three young sons to live in squalor, raided her mother’s house in Immingham, Lincs, and nicked a laptop, two cameras and a television pay-per-viewbox containing money.

When her shocked mum Susan returned home she realised her neighbour’s description of the thief was her own daughter.

On Friday Grimsby Crown Court heard that both Everett and her mother, Susan, had been at a family funeral of Everett’s grandmother.

Marla Everett, 33, sneaked out of her grandmother's funeral so she could burgle her own mother

Marla Everett, 33, sneaked out of her grandmother’s funeral so she could burgle her own mother

Prosecuting, Martin Haworth said: “Susan left home in the morning and the property was secure. She was going to the funeral at 11.30am.

“The defendant was present at the funeral and it was noted that they (Everett and an accomplice) left saying that they were going into Grimsby.”

He said the mother returned home at about 2.30pm and discovered “items appeared to have been moved suggesting someone had been in her house”.

“The wooden cover of the catflap had been moved.

“She discovered that the laptop and two cameras were missing. A black pay-per-view box was missing from the main room.

“[After getting information from a neighbour] She made a call to her daughter asking that the goods be returned. She said she had spent the money from the TV box.

“It seems that all the goods were recovered except the TV box, money and one camera charger.

“She said in interview ‘last night I robbed my mum’s house while she was at a funeral’.”

Police went to the defendant’s home in Duke Street and she was arrested.

Mitigating, Vicky Lee said: “It’s maintained that there was £100 in the TV box.

“She hasn’t been before a court for anything like this previously and has made full admissions. She has already returned most of the property back to her mother.”

Ms Lee asked Deputy District Judge Andrew Pascoe for Everett to be released on bail while awaiting her fate, adding: “She is desperate not to be in custody pending sentence for this.”

But the Pascoe determined the matter would go to Crown Court for sentence as Everett was still on licence for her previous offence and remanded her in custody until her sentencing later this month.

In February Marla Everett was jailed after shocked police found her three young boys living in appalling scenes of “squalor” in a filthy and cluttered flat.

She and partner Matthew Cartwright each admitted three offences of cruelty to the boys, who were taken into foster care.

She was jailed for a year and was on licence for those offences when she committed this latest crime.