Newlywed Brits found dead in Indian hotel after suspected drugs overdose

A newlywed British couple have been found dead in a hotel room in India.

James and Alexandra Gaskell were found by staff at the Maya Hotel in Agra on Tuesday morning.

Indian Police suspect the couple died from a drugs overdose after a number of sleeping pills and painkillers were found in their room.

The couple had been travelling through India for around three months after tying the knot in November last year

The couple had been travelling through India for around three months after tying the knot in November last year

It is believed the couple had checked in the night before.

James, 28, from Kent, and Alexandra, 24, from Stockport, Cheshire, had been travelling through India for around three months after tying the knot in November last year.

On Twitter, James, a former student at Manchester Metropolitan University, posted a chilling last message about getting prescription drugs over the counter.

James tweeted: "In India I have eaten an incredible amount of benzos."

James tweeted: “In India I have eaten an incredible amount of benzos.”

His final post on the social media site on October 19 said: “Codeine under the counter here.

“With Valium, Xanax and Lyrica. Winning.”

A day earlier he tweeted: “In India I have eaten an incredible amount of benzos.

“So Americans can stop showing off with your Xanax talk.

“They’re really not all that.”

James and Alexandra Gaskell died from a suspected drugs overdose

James and Alexandra Gaskell died from a suspected drugs overdose

The couple worked together at Manchester International College after James, a language teacher, graduated in 2012.

Alexandra, who was a photography student, studied at Stockport College before moving to study at Liverpool John Moores University.

Police enquiries are ongoing and a post mortem into their deaths will take place in due course.

A Foreign Office spokesperson said: “We can confirm the deaths of two British nationals in Agra.

“We are providing consular assistance to their families at this difficult time.”

Mr Rajesh Gupta, owner of the Maya Hotel where the couple were found said James and Alexandra were found on the bed surrounded by cough syrup, anti-depressants and sleeping pills.

He said: “The couple checked in at 5pm in the evening and went directly to the room, they didn’t come out after that.

“Later they ordered the dinner at 9pm and by 10 pm our room service went with dinner – he knocked the door and James GaskelL opened the door and took the dinner – he didn’t allow our employee inside the room and closed it.

“They booked room only for one night and were supposed to inform us for extended stay.

“When they didn’t come down, our hotel staff knocked their door at 11:30 am, but there was no response and door was locked inside. He informed the manager quickly who later informed the police.

“Later police arrived and found that both were dead on the bed. Both television and air conditioner were on.

“Police found five empty bottles of cough syrup, strips of sleeping pills, anti-depressants, and a medical prescription from Sir Ganga Ram Hospital Delhi, mentioning a drug called Diazepam – used to treat anxiety disorders.

“The police have sealed the room further investigations and bodies have been sent to post mortem.”