My best friend has been found dead in a pool of blood at my flat


A 20-year-old girl was murdered by a man and his transgender lover for a suspected ‘perverted pleasure’, a court heard.

Bethany Marie Hill was found drenched in blood with stab wounds to her neck and hands bound with tape in the bathroom of a flat on February 3 last year.
Her two flatmates Kayleigh Louise Woods, 23, and Jack Williams, 21, were later arrested and charged with her murder.

She was found after Woods made a 999 call at just gone 7pm on February 3 saying “my best friend‘s dead in my flat.”

Warwick Crown Court heard that Woods claimed Beth had committed suicide while she was out of the flat, and said she had returned to find blood everywhere and attempted to clean the flat before phoning the police.

But after the jury was told she was taken to the police station later that evening officers discovered she had tried to dispose of a phone, later found to be Beth’s, in a sanitary bin after destroying her own – and she was arrested on suspicion of murder.

Woods, a transgender who was born and raised as a boy called Kyle Lockwood, had been in a relationship with Williams at the time of the murder.


Prosecutor Stephen Linehan QC said the “sadistic” killing may have been done by Williams for “perverted pleasure” and that Woods “joined in with her lover to please him.”

He said: “Beth had not died as a result of cutting herself.

“She was brutally, brutally murdered.

“Each of them [the defendants] has spun a web of lies in order to conceal the truth.”

Mr Linehan described Woods as a “good play actor” and a “prolific and practised liar”.

Beth had been in a brief relationship with Williams as a teenager, and after moving out of her parents’ home in Bidford-on-Avon to attend college in Stratford she met Woods.

She later moved into Woods’ one-bedroom flat in Hertford Road, Stratford.


Mr Linehan said: “It was a friendship that was to have terrible consequences for Beth.”

Williams, who had also grown up in Bidford, had moved out of his mum’s house and in with his dad and step-mum in Redlands Crescent, Stratford.

Beth, who had a history of self-harming, introduced Williams and Woods, and the two began a relationship.

By the time they met Woods was already living as a woman, although Williams knew she was transgender and the pair had a sexual relationship.

Beth, who Mr Linehan described as “troubled”, later dropped out of college and moved back in with her parents.

In October 2015, Woods called the police and claimed Williams had threatened her with a knife – he was arrested and returned to live with his dad
and step-mum.


In December 2015, Beth moved back in with Woods.

But in early January 2016, Woods and Williams got back together and Williams secretly moved back in to the flat in Hertford Road, due to a court order banning him from living there.

The trio lived together – Williams and Woods slept in the sitting room, while Beth slept in the bedroom.

Mr Linehan said Woods and Beth had a “complicated and volatile” relationship, and that they had discussed Beth having a child fathered by Woods.

Police found Woods on Paddock Lane, where she had been when she made the 999 call.

When asked what happened, Woods told officers Beth was “a mess” who had always been suicidal, and claimed she drank bleach at 3am that morning [Feb 3].

Woods told officers she had left the flat at 7am and returned at 5pm, and said: “I just wanted to clean up, there was a lot of blood, I didn’t see her in the bathroom.”

But Mr Linehan said that during the early hours of the morning Beth was murdered.


He said: “The evidence does not show what each of them did.

“But it does show that the murder was not done quickly.”

The jury heard that Beth’s wrists had been bound together with duct tape, and she suffered repeated cuts to the back of her neck until her jugular
was cut and she bled to death in the bathroom.

Beth had been lying dead in the flat for over 12 hours before she was found by police and paramedics.

Mr Linehan said the attack was carried out sometime between 1am, when Williams returned from work, and 6am.

Woods and Williams both deny murder.