McSquirm: family horrified to find “worm” hanging out of their McDonald’s chicken nugget

A family were horrified when they found a “WORM” hanging out of their McDonalds chicken nugget.

Nikki Sanders, 30, had bought a Happy Meal for her four-year-old, Emily, but her daughter only ate some of the fries before pushing the rest away.

Without wanting to waste any food, the canteen worker bit into the first nugget, but when she looked at the insides, she saw what looked like a worm and immediately spat it back into the bag.

Nikki Sanders, 30,  bit into a nugget only to find a worm staring at her

Nikki Sanders, 30,
bit into a nugget only to find a worm staring at her

Disgusted, her husband, Neil, 39, took some pictures on his phone and took the offending nugget wrapped in a tissue back into the store.

The manager of the store in Tamworth, Staffs, took the tissue and said he would send it off to be tested at head office.

Neil, from Coventry, West Mids, said: "It was absolutely revolting."

Neil, from Coventry, West Mids, said: “It was absolutely revolting.”

Neil, from Coventry, West Mids, said: “It was absolutely revolting.

“As soon as Nikki bit into the nugget she spat it straight back into the bag.

“We’re just so lucky that Emily didn’t want to eat any more than a few fries.

“We try not to eat too much processed food, but we had to take one of the girls to a party and were in a rush on the way back.

“Needless to say we’ll never go back there again – it’s put us off all processed meat for good now.”

Neil, a vehicle testing engineer, handed in the food to the manager who initially said he would send for it to be tested.

Disgusted, her husband, Neil, 39, took some pictures on his phone

Disgusted, her husband, Neil, 39, took some pictures on his phone

Neil said: “At first he said it was just a bit of gristle but I wasn’t having any of that.

“He asked for my name and number and I took out my receipt but he said he wouldn’t need that.

“I don’t want a voucher or a refund – I want to know how this happened and make sure it doesn’t again.”

Neil has been in regular correspondence with the customer service department who confirmed they are continuing their investigations.

The 39-year-old said: “From working in laboratories for most of my life, I don’t expect to hear from them soon.

“I just want to make sure nothing like this happens to another young girl.

“Needless to say we’ll never go back to McDonalds or any other fast food joint.

“From that point, this has probably been good for us as a family.”

A McDonald’s spokesman said: “We are sorry for Mr Sanders’ experience when visiting our restaurant.

“Food safety is our highest priority and both our restaurants and our suppliers place great emphasis on quality control and follow rigorous standards in order to avoid imperfections in our products.

“We have launched an investigation following the reporting of this incident, and the object will be sent to a specialist for identification.

“We will be in touch with Mr Sanders once this investigation is complete.”