I’m not lovin’ it: mum-of-two left horrified after six-year-old daughter finds human nail in McDonald’s burger

A mum-of-two was left horrified after her six-year-old daughter found a HUMAN NAIL in her McDonald’s burger.

Disgruntled Lyn Richie, 38, was treating her family to a McDonald’s at her local restaurant, when her daughter, Ellyn, six, made a shocking discovery.

The child minder, from Coleraine, in Northern Ireland, was tucking into her chicken salad when she spotted a large, human nail in her daughter’s £4.29 Big Mac.

Lyn Richie was tucking into her chicken salad when she spotted a large, human nail in her daughter's £4.29 Big Mac

Lyn Richie was tucking into her chicken salad when she spotted a large, human nail in her daughter’s £4.29 Big Mac

Sickened by what she saw, Lyn reported it to a member of staff, who, to her dismay, confirmed the nail was of human origin, before offering her a full refund for the £16.77 order.

Outraged by the grisly revelation, Lyn – who initially thought it was a false nail – said she felt physically sick and stormed out of the branch at Riverside Park East, Coleraine, Londonderry.

Lyn, who was also with her partner George, 41, and stepdaughter, Katy 12, when she ordered the meal, has slammed the fast food giant, claiming she’ll never step foot inside the restaurant again.

Lyn Richie, 38, was treating her family to a McDonald's at her local restaurant

Lyn Richie, 38, was treating her family to a McDonald’s at her local restaurant

She said: “My six-year-old daughter was eating her Big Mac when she pointed to a foreign object sandwiched between the burgers.

“She doesn’t like the bread, so luckily, she pulled the burger apart before she took a bite.

“She said, ‘mummy, what’s that?’ with a confused look on her face.

“At first, I thought it was an onion or a false nail, but was horrified when staff confirmed it was human.

“I don’t think Ellyn really understood what was going on at the time; she was just gutted about the burger being taken away.

“But once she knew the origin of the nail, she told me she felt physically sick just thinking about it.”

She said: "At first, I thought it was an onion or a false nail, but was horrified when staff confirmed it was human."

She said: “At first, I thought it was an onion or a false nail, but was horrified when staff confirmed it was human.”

Repulsed Lyn claims she wasn’t able to eat for days after discovering the gruesome object – which she says was thrown in the bin by a member of staff.

She has now lodged an official complaint with McDonald’s and the environmental health department at Coleraine Borough Council, who are conducting a joint investigation into the incident.

She said: “It just sickens me – it seriously makes you questions their hygiene practices.

“Because I’m a child minder, I always take the kids I care for to McDonald’s for a treat.

“But now I just can’t trust them, which is a shame, because the kids loved it.

“We definitely will not be returning back to McDonald’s ever again.”

A spokesperson for McDonald’s said: “We are sorry for Ms Ritchie’s experience when visiting our restaurant.

“We have launched an investigation following the reporting of this incident and our Customer Service department will be in touch with Ms Ritchie to keep her updated.

“Food safety and quality are our highest priority and both our restaurants and our suppliers place great emphasis on quality control, following rigorous standards in order to avoid imperfections in our products.”

A spokesperson for Coleraine Borough Council said: “Causeway Coast and Glens Borough Council’s Environmental Health Department have been informed of the incident, which is currently under investigation.

“As these investigations are ongoing, Council is not in position to comment.”