Five star rated restaurant puts its foot in it as chef is caught washing his feet in kitchen sink

In most takeaways, customers expect the chef to wash their hands before cooking food, but this is the moment a disgusted takeaway customer caught a chef washing his FEET in a kitchen sink.

Judging by the look on his face the man knew he’d put his foot right in it when the customer caught him in the act, snapping a picture of him through the window of the Indian takeaway.

The picture which appears to show a chef washing his feet in a sink next to a food preparation area was taken at the Neel Akash Indian and Bangladeshi Restaurant in Salisbury, Wiltshire, which has a five star rating from the Food Standards Agency (FSA) – the highest rating possible.

The chef - who apparently no longer works at the takeaway - was caught on camera washing his feet in the kitchen sink

The chef – who apparently no longer works at the takeaway – was caught on camera washing his feet in the kitchen sink

The customer, who has asked not to be named, said: “When I saw this chef washing his feet in the kitchen I felt sick to my stomach instantly.

“The only thing that I could think about was that nobody would believe me so I must get proof, hence the grainy photo.

“This is a restaurant I’ve eaten from many times, so I was totally shocked and upset. I will never step foot in there again.

“This is quite a popular takeaway in the area with people travelling from all over the rural surrounding villages to collect a curry.

“I used to really like the place, I just don’t understand now how a five star FSA rating was achieved.”

The Neel Akash Indian and Bangladeshi Restaurant in Salisbury, Wiltshire has been rate given a five star rating by the FSA

The Neel Akash Indian and Bangladeshi Restaurant in Salisbury, Wiltshire has been rate given a five star rating by the FSA

Restaurant owner Mohammed Shajahan, said it was an isolated incident and was not reflective of their consistently impeccable food hygiene standards.

He said: “The only reason the employee had his foot in the sink is because he had dropped hot oil on his foot and quickly needed to cool the area down in order to stop it from becoming a severe burn.

“After the member of public sent me this picture I immediately apologised to him and asked the staff member why they had broken the health and safety rules.

“After the incident happened the member of staff was asked to hand in his resignation and has now left my restaurant.

“This type of incidents will never happen again.”

A spokesperson for the FSA said: “We cannot comment on individual cases.

“However, food hygiene must be the priority for all food business operators and if any person has concerns about an individual business then they should report these to their local environmental health team.”