Pine dining: python perished after swallowing a prickly porcupine
This greedy python has bitten off more than he could chew – when he perished after swallowing a prickly PORCUPINE.
Forget fine dining, this greedy snake fancied a bit of PINE dining.
The bloated 3.9 metre African rock python was found by a mountain biker, lying next to a cycle track at Lake Eland Game Reserve, near Port Shepstone, South Africa.
The unlucky python’s eyes were clearly bigger than his belly when he sized up his last supper – a 2st porcupine.
The python was found with his innards punctured by dozens of needle-sharp quills from the porcupine.
Reserve managers found the python dead beneath a rocky ledge, where it had been trying to digest its final meal.
Reserve general manager Jennifer Fuller said: “The exact reasons for the snake’s death are not clear.
“It is apparent that several porcupine quills were lodged inside the digestive tract.
“It had fallen off the rocky ledge.
“We don’t know if it died beforehand, or whether the fall drove some of the quills into its digestive tract.”
Whereas some predators will be warned off by the visual threat displays of a porcupine, many snake species rely on thermal or chemical sensory mechanisms to ambush prey at night.